Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 14, 2018

In The Queue In The Waitrose Café, I Meet My Love
Liz Lefroy

The man next to me in the queue is gorgeous.
It starts with him telling me I’ve dropped my pen,
and I pick it up, though it’s not mine.
I’m almost sure he knew that anyway,
so we talk about pens and dropping things.
I ask for a cappuccino, and we’re on to poetry.
As the milk is frothed he says for him
it’s about what rhymes with daffodils.
I tell him about my rhyming dictionary.
He says, So you’re a clever girl then!
I smile, say, No, then, Yes, to chocolate.
We laugh as I hand over a five pound note.

If I were fifty years younger, I’d fall in love with you.

He says this as I hold out my hand for change -
all this in minutes, and I already love him.
He’s eighty-five, but I won’t believe it.
He looks at me from the corner of his eye,
gives a nod of knowing, asks for two cups of tea,
hooks his stick over his arm to pay.
I say, Lovely to meet you, walk to a table
past a woman who is smaller than him,
creased into a chair and wearing pink socks.
I look up at them from time to time.
I see their silence.  It’s just been a long time.
It’s been a long, long time. 

-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment